Monday, February 25, 2008

"I The Supreme": First Half

I didn’t see “I the Supreme” coming, was doubly surprised. First, hefting it in my hand a couple weeks ago in the book store, and then reading the first couple pages. This is the greatest book in the history of Latin American literature according to the professor; the most complex book I have ever read; and coincidently the book on which I have to write a comprehensive Wikipedia article. Where to begin?

Some random thoughts on a book composed of the (random?) rememberings and documents of hundreds of individuals follows....

This story is enjoyable from a number of nerdly perspectives. It is rife with philosophical and political reflections so much so that I found myself taking notes without thinking that correspond to my “History of Western Political Thought Course”. The continual (and disparaging) references The Supreme makes to Buenos Aires brings to mind Fecundo. As he mentions Fecundo, Rosas and Rivadavia I can imagine Sarmiento’s story unfolding on the periphery of that of Bastos. The book is also jarringly funny sometimes, as The Dictator takes the piss out of everyone and anyone he can lay his tongue on.

Since there is only The Dictator in this novel - he is either speaking, writing or occasionally being spoken to – his character is the novel. But is he a protagonist? Coming from a liberal democratic area of the world, the “dictator” title attached to the character of Dr. Francia should be enough to clearly answer that he is not. I would argue, however, that he is. The Supreme is a tragic protagonist, who becomes lost in his own intention/vision, and a victim of his own lack of humanity.

He does not lust after power, but assumes power in the midst of an anarchic vacuum and at the request of the other Paraguayan leaders. The Dictator goes on to firmly establish Paraguay’s independence and ensure stability for his entire reign. Education is made free and Indians are given the status of citizens. His downfall is his own paranoia, his inability to delegate and groom leaders around him. He becomes lost in a labyrinth of suspicion, deathly afraid of the international anarchy that surrounds the borders of his country and of all that he cannot directly control within his own country.

In some ways he brings to mind Fidel Castro, a leader whose own verbosity and revolutionary zeal is almost unparalleled. Like “The Supreme” Castro had Cuba sealed from foreigners for a long stretch of time to prevent moral contamination, in addition to suffering from further isolating trade embargos. Castro’s despotic power within Cuba was justified and perhaps warranted by internal threats stoked by external powers. Both of these men were liberators and raised the standard of living and education, in ways that only a person with a strong vision and a stronger hand could. Both held onto power until they no longer were physically (mentally?) capable. Castro’s legacy is yet to be determined, and will likely be less damaging than Dr. Francia’s, but the similarities remain.

2 comments:

Aliyah said...

I agree with you in that there are some moments where I've found myself stopping and thinking...wait a minute, was that a joke? It's definitely not what I'd expected. I also think that you're pointing out exactly what all other stories of power illistrate: "Unlimited power is apt to corrupt the minds of those who possess it". - William Pitt the Younger

Anonymous said...

hey nate

i was still thinking of what you told me the other day, Roa Bastos did not edit this book at all! I have to agree on your Facundo observation. The mention of Rivadavia actually made me think that Dr. Francia's erratic and compulsive personality can be attributed to Facundo in a similar way. So maybe thanks to Roa Bastos we can also get into the mind of the gaucho, given that Sarmiento narrates from a third person. I remember that the Supreme despises the portenistas(such as Rivadvia)... And as Sarmiento wrote if I correctly recall, Rivadavia and Facundo where fierceful
adversaries.